HISTORY OF DIVISION OF GENERAL MEDICINE
1950's: John Stoeckle hired as Chairman of the Out Patient Department, Chairman of the Committee on Clinics.
1972: Internal Medicine Associates (IMA) established with the goal to provide the explicit starting point for the future integration of clinical care, teaching and research.
1971: The General Executive Committee convened a committee under John Mills to review ambulatory care at MGH drawing attention to primary care in particular and defining it as “those health services forming the initial contacts between doctor and patient, the diagnosis and treatment of common disease, and the measures constituting preventive medicine and health maintenance.”
1977: Medical Practices Evaluation Unit established.
1973: MGH established the nation's 1st internship and residency program in primary adult medicine.
1995: The Medical Practices Evaluation Center (which evolved from the Medical Practices Evaluation Unit) had diversified into the Clinical Epidemiology Unit, the Health Policy Research and Development Unit, the Health Statistics Research Program, the Clinical Decision Support Program, the Tobacco research and Treatment Program and the Geriatrics Research Program.
2000: John D. Stoeckle Center for Primary Care Innovation Founded -- devoted to revitalizing and redesigning the deliver of primary care.
Podolsky. S. H. (2010, Jun 10). History of the MGH Division of General Medicine.